Can you understand key information and perform critical tasks on a mobile device?
Why it’s important: Miyako just lost her job and canceled her home internet to stretch her budget. She only uses her cell phone to browse the internet.
Reza is recovering from a stroke and slowly relearning how to use his arm. He uses his phone to help him find information on the web.
Steps to take
- Make sure you can reach primary actions easily with either right or left thumbs.
- Make touch targets at least 48px. This will allow the target to be tapped by the average adult finger pad, which measures 10mm. The icons may be smaller and you can work with your developer to extend padding past the icon.
- In most cases, touch targets are separated by 8px of space or more to ensure users don’t select the wrong action.
- 3.2 Touch Target Size and Spacing | Mobile Accessibility: How WCAG 2.0 and Other W3C/WAI Guidelines Apply to Mobile
- 3.5 Placing buttons where they are easy to access | Mobile Accessibility: How WCAG 2.0 and Other W3C/WAI Guidelines Apply to Mobile